Walmart employees an average of 225 employees per store. Sometimes team members need to take leaves of absence for a variety of reasons.
Thankfully, Walmart offers unpaid time off for employees depending on the situation. Here’s everything you need to know about requesting unpaid time off at Walmart locations.
Table of Contents
Does Walmart Offer Unpaid Time Off?
Walmart offers unpaid time off for employees, commonly referred to as a Leave of Absence (LOA) in certain cases. Walmart states that a Leave of Absence must be requested and approved beforehand. LOAs can be paid or unpaid, depending on the circumstances.
When Should I Request Unpaid Time Off?
It’s essential to submit your request for unpaid time off in a timely manner to be approved and avoid consequences. Whenever possible, ensure you’re submitting your request 30 days in advance before you plan to take time off.
Be sure you’re requesting time off as soon as you can if you can’t request days off within 30 days. Walmart states to request days off within one business day after learning that you require a leave of absence.
If for whatever reason, you can’t submit a request, your manager, family member, or a People Partner can submit one for you.
How Do I Request Unpaid Time Off?
There are a few different steps you need to take to request time off, regardless if it’s unpaid or not. Here are the two most important steps for requesting time off as a Walmart employee:
- Ensure you notify your supervisor as soon as you know you require a leave of absence.
- Be sure to follow the usual call-in steps for your Walmart location.
Keep in mind that you’ll need to call in each absence until Sedgwick has approved your time off for Walmart, Sam’s Club, and Home Office stores. Sedgwick should notify your store within one business day, but the timeframe can vary.
Requesting Your Leave Through Sedgwick
You’ll require a few different pieces of information to request your leave of absence through Sedgwick.
- You’ll need your Walmart Identification Number (WIN)
- You’ll need your personal contact information
- You’ll need to provide your reason for your absence.
- You’ll need the fax number or contact information if you’re requesting medical or family care leave
- You’ll need to provide the dates for your leave if it’s all at once, or some now and some later.
- You’ll need your most recent work schedule from the past two weeks.
After you’ve gathered all the information above, you can submit a request to Sedgwick via the online website or by calling them directly at 800-492-5678.
Review Your Leave Packet
Sedgwick will open a case for you after you submit your request. You’ll receive a letter and your first leave packet as long as it’s been approved. You can choose to have this letter delivered by mail or via email.
The leave packet will contain important information about your leave of absence and various forms. The letter will also inform you if you’re eligible for the dates based on the hours you’ve worked and the time you’ve been employed.
You can also access and print out your leave packet after two business days from making the request by visiting Sedgwick.
Turn in Your Forms
You’ll need to complete various forms from Sedgwick, depending on your request.
- Medical Certification/Attending Physician Statement: You’ll need to take forms to your doctor and have them completed within 20 calendar days if you’re requesting time off for medical reasons. You can use Sedgwick to fax forms to your doctor if you offer the information. Be sure you’re following up with your doctor to ensure the forms have been completed and returned.
- If your leave is a result of emergency medical treatment: Sedgwick will also accept information from emergency rooms if you visit an ER. Sedgwick will show the date, the patient, the medical reason, and the recommendations for leave.
It’s essential that these forms are returned as soon as possible. Give your doctor at least 24 hours to return the form. Ensure you double-check Sedgwick to see if they have received it.
You can return your completed forms in several ways, including:
- Fax number: 859-264-4372 or 859-280-3270
- Email address at: WalmartForms@Sedgwicksir.com
- Or you can transfer completed forms to mySedgwick
Requesting Unpaid Time Off at Walmart
Walmart offers unpaid time off for qualifying employees. However, you’ll need to submit a request and have it approved as soon as possible. The first steps are to notify your supervisor and follow the normal call-in steps for your location. Afterward, you can follow the steps above to submit a request using mySedgwick.