It is well known that Amazon is one of the largest companies on the planet. But how many people use Amazon, altogether?
Table of Contents
How Many People Use Amazon in All?
Amazon has 310 million active users, with 197 million people worldwide using the Amazon app every month and 81% of US adults 18 – 34 being Prime members. The company has 2.5 million active sellers, and delivers approximately 1.6 million orders per day, or at least 66,000 orders per hour, daily.
- A whopping 81% of US adults aged 18 – 34 became Amazon Prime members as of June, 2020.
- All age groups increased Prime Membership in 2020, with the biggest increases among 18 – 34 year olds and 55+.
- Amazon owns approximately 40 companies or subsidiaries.
- Some of Amazon’s bigger acquisitions include Ring for $1 billion in 2018 and MGM in 2021 for $8.5 billion.
- com boasts 197 million monthly active users and 310 active users total.
- Amazon is currently the 3rd largest company in the world when measured by revenue.
Amazon Prime Membership by Age
Amazon Prime membership is a valuable indication of Amazon usage. These users pay a yearly or monthly subscription fee in exchange for free or discounted delivery and many other benefits.
- As of June 2020, 81% of US adults between the ages of 18 – 34 were Amazon Prime members.
- At that time, 68% of US adults between 35 – 54 years of age were Prime members.
- 60% of adults aged 55 or older were Amazon Prime members, as well.
- Just a few months prior, in February, 2020, 69% of adults 18 – 34 were Prime members.
- This was an increase of 12 percentage points, or 17.39% for this age group in just 4 months.
- Membership in the 35 – 54 year-old age group increased 5 percentage points, from 63% in February, 2020, a 7.9% increase.
- The 55 and older age group had an 8 percentage point increase from 52%, which was a 15.38% jump.
- On average, 65% of US adults subscribe to Amazon Prime membership.
Amazon Usage Over Time
Amazon began as an online bookstore in 1995 but has since grown to become a formidable online juggernaut. It is one of the largest online marketplaces, as well as a logistics, media, cloud services company, and more.
- The company reported $386 billion in revenue in 2020.
- Its revenue reached even higher in 2021, with $469.8 billion in reported revenue.
- Its current market cap is approximately $1.17 trillion.
- Amazon was the 4th company in the world to reach a value of $1 trillion.
- The company created the Prime subscription in 2005 and has 200 million Prime subscribers as of 2021.
- The vast majority of Amazon Prime members (147 million) are in the United States.
- Globally, Amazon has 197 million monthly active users on its website.
- It is now the 3rd largest publicly-traded company in the world according to revenue, after China’s Petrochemical Corporation and Walmart.
How Many People Use Amazon-Owned Businesses
The list of business owned by Amazon keeps growing.
- At last count, Amazon owns 40 companies or subsidiaries.
- As mentioned above, 200 million people worldwide subscribe to Amazon Prime as of 2021.
- In 2021 Amazon Prime Video boasted 175 million unique viewers.
- For comparison, the entire population of the United States was 331.9 million in 2021, including children.
- One of Amazon’s earliest purchases was IMDb (along with IMDb’s subsidiary, Box Office Mojo), purchased in 1998 for $55 million.
- Today, IMDb has 200 million unique monthly visitors, whose search data points likely provide Amazon with useful marketing information.
- Amazon Web Services (AWS), Amazon’s cloud computing and web services division, was launched in 2006.
- AWS earned $62 billion in revenue in 2021.
- The audiobook producer and retailer, Audible, was purchased by Amazon for approximately $300 million in 2008.
- Amazon purchased Zappos for $1.2 billion in 2009, which most recently had about 19 million monthly visitors.
- In one of its largest acquisitions, Amazon purchased Quidsi, (Diapers.com, Soap.com, and Wag.com parent company), in 2011 for $545 million.
- Only 6 years later, Amazon shut Quidsi down, laying off 263 people, citing lack of profitability.
- Amazon purchased Twitch.TV in 2014 for $970 million.
- TV currently has 140 million monthly active users.
- Amazon bought Whole Foods in 2017 for $13 billion.
- Whole Foods had $766,000 in net income 2021 from 422 stores, worldwide.
- In 2018, Amazon purchased security device company Ring, which has so far sold 1.4 million units, for $1 billion.
- Amazon acquired MGM for $8.5 billion in March of 2022, expanding its streaming, media, and movie-making capabilities.
Amazon Statistics Table
|Annual Profit (US$ millions)||Amazon Prime Subscribers
|Amazon Subscription Revenue (US$ billions)||AWS Revenue (US$ billions)||Valuation (US$ billions)|
Source: See References 4 and 14. For illustration purposes only.
How Many People Use Amazon?
Amazon currently claims 310 million active users worldwide, with 197 million using the app monthly, and approximately 81% of US adults aged 18 – 34 are Prime members. They also have 2.5 million active sellers, and deliver more than 66,000 orders per hour, daily, or about 1.6 million packages per day.
- Statista, Amazon Prime US Age Distribution
- Statista, Amazon Dossier
- Business of Apps, Amazon
- Backlinko.com, Twitch Users
- Dataromas, Amazon
- Venture Beat
- The Street
- Slate Business